Sunday, May 3, 2009


For many months now, life has been steamrolling along at a rather hectic pace. Doing this and doing that in the hopes of achieving something.
I hadn't planned to take the weekend off, it just sort of happened all by itself.
It started by accepting an early afternoon invitation on Saturday and just seemd to flow into other events with no rhyme or reason. In retrospect, I find myself amazed at the perfection of timing that occurs when things are left to their own accord.
The following is an account of the weekend that I had sent to a friend in an e-mail message on Sunday evening:

It was a wonderful weekend here.
The weather is in the nineties with a light breeze blowing that keeps one cool.
Saturday, I attended an appreciation luncheon for the volunteers of Hospice. Jo Ann volunteers for patient home assistance.
After which we went to Town Square, a trip to the bookstore and coffee.
Our friend James came around the corner while we were sitting there and the three of us wandered around.
They were having an event in the park with live music. Four adorable young girls playing electric violins & cello.
The musical piece was one of those beautiful songs that have life affirming lyrics. James amused us by breaking into song…he knew all the words.
There were lots of children playing and dogs running around….I thought of Tam and the harlequin dane. I kicked myself for once again not having my camera on hand.
We then ventured over to movie theatre and saw The Soloist…..Brilliant.
When we came out of the movie the event had turned to a Wine Walk.
We milled around a little longer and then with hugs and farewells came home.

Today, we went to The District.
It is much the same as Town Square, but a single street design.
Another beautiful day.
They were having their annual Art Walk.
I met some very talented people and I think I have even made a few new friends.
There were a couple of awesome experiences, hopefully you will read about them in my blog WITH PICTURES.
Yes, I finally remembered to take my camera.
James joined us there as well. And he invited a friend.
We tried a new place to eat that the friend recommended. Wonderful!
A small Greek restaurant tucked away in the corner. The food was incredible.
James and his friend took off after lunch.
Jo Ann and I hit The Coffee Bean.
We sat outside enjoying the environment.
While we certainly chatted, there was much time spent in quiet silence, just soaking up all the wonderful energy that surrounded us.

Both of us had reached that peaceful state where we knew that if we simply closed our eyes we would be off to blissful slumber.
That’s exactly where the day ended, came home and took a nice long nap.

Life is Good !

After the nap, I began to think of these events at a deeper level.
I suddenly realized that at no time during the weekend had I allowed any thoughts to interfere with the simplicity and perfection of my weekend. I also noticed that no castrophes had taken place while I had placed my "To Do" list on hold.
I thought about a casual comment that was made at lunch.
On Friday, Danny Gans, a gifted & wonderful entertainer here in Las Vegas, died in his home at the age of 52.
He was a global musical legend and a "good man" in the community.
While we sat with friends, eating wonderful food, in a beautiful enviroment and sharing our appreciation of the moment, James friend Jack wondered out loud "How do you think Danny Gans spent Friday?"

If today were my last, it was a day well spent.



  1. Good for you girl!

    Sometimes I a so amazed at how important the simple pleasures are.

    Love Sheila

  2. Yes, and another one of those moments where the image of Meg Ryan in "My Mother's Boyfriend" comes up.
    With a BIG SMILE,"I KNOW"

  3. "I suddenly realized that at no time during the weekend had I allowed any thoughts to interfere with the simplicity and perfection of my weekend. I also noticed that no castrophes had taken place while I had placed my "To Do" list on hold."

    Hi Kat, :-)
    This is so great to hear!
    It sounds so simple, yet it is not always easy to practice!

    Congratulations and thank you for sharing!


  4. Thank you for such a beautiful post. I've been working weekends for many years and miss not having the slow down, sharing with friends that a weekend affords.

    Well all the more reason to make plans for the Grand Exit--all the while, in-joying the Now!!!

  5. Kate~Thank You for the reminder as well. I too am in an industry that requires my physical presence on all weekends and holidays. Though I have had many days like the one I wrote about, I have missed many as well. The ones that I get have the element of planning attached to them. I think that was one of the beautiful things about this weekend. Most of it's elements were spontaneous. In the same perfection of timing, you inspire me to pick up the "To Do" list and playfully make my way to as you say "The Grand Exit", while in-joying the Now.

  6. Hi Kat,

    Nice post. Reminds me of many similar times I have spent with friends in many places around the world. It conveyed the peace that you must have been feeling.

    The past 36 hours have, for me, been VERY different, yet at least as rewarding. I have been "sitting" with a sick dog.

    Between a working wife and a sleeping-in husband (I managed to sleep until 5:30 that morning) who didn't communicate well, we managed to give two of our dogs food poisoning. Buddy, our "big guy, really got hit hard. He was so violently ill that he could not even stand up. We moved him from place to place by slinging a blanket under his belly---something that isn't too thrilling to a dog with food poisoning.

    Last night we were beginning to think he wouldn't make it. I began harboring thoughts about where I would dig his grave. I immediately cancel-cleared that thought and instead began seeing him as "bouncing Buddy" again. This is a name he has earned from exhibiting his joy by leaping straight up in the air over and over---an amazing feat for a 110 lb black lab.

    He seemed most comfortable outside in the wet grass, so I rolled my vibrating, heating, reclining chair out onto the sidewalk beside him, wrapped up in blankets and stayed with him. He has been one of my best friends, and if he was going to leave me I wanted to spend every moment possible in service to him. Other than for about a 15 minute nap, I was present with him the entire time.

    As daylight broke this morning he began to stir. Then he sat up on his front legs, but was unable to raise the rear. I jumped up and raised his haunches until he was standing---shakily, but standing. He then struggled his way into the "business" section of our yard and began a dramatic elimination of some of what had been bothering him. He took a step forward and collapsed again.

    I again supported him to rise and directed him to a comfortable bed I had made for him under the patio cover. He laid down and looked much more comfortable.

    That was at about 5:00 this morning. It is about 1:30 PM now. During this time I have been pouring diluted Dynamite Dyna-Pro probiotic and Waiora Natural Cellular Defense down his throat, offering him water every few minutes and lifting his butt when needed to get him off to the potty yard.

    So that I could keep an eye on him and also get some work done, I hooked up a closed circuit TV system to monitor him. As I type this, I am watching him sleeping comfortably on that outside bed, making up for what he lost yesterday and last night.

    For me, I have not slept except for the short nap since 3:45 yesterday morning. During that waking time I have dealt with dog vomit, poop, pee, slime, smell and loose hair. I have lifted and carried this giant from place to place, stressing my structure and completely winded myself. I am just now realizing that I still have not eaten anything so far today. Taking all that into account, this has been a wonderful, fulfilling time of my life that I wouldn't trade for any other experience that I could even imagine.

    You and I have had some very different experiences over the past week, but seemingly with similar levels of joy.

    Best regards,

    (You can see a photo of Buddy and some of my other friends at: )

  7. Truly a moving story Bruce.
    Though it was left unspoken, if today was his or your last, it was a day well spent.
    I have a feeling "Bouncing Buddie" is gonna be just fine.